Child Care Centers and Preschools
Care is provided in a setting similar to school where there may be many classrooms, and children are usually grouped by their age. Child Care Centers and Preschools are regulated by the Colorado Department of Human Services, Division of Child Care.
- Last minute closure due to provider illness is unlikely.
- Frequently offers a child development or preschool curriculum.
- Facility is inspected for health, safety and fire code compliance.
- High turnover of staff can be common.
- Some children may not adapt well to large group settings.
- Usually does not have flexible hours.
Family Home Child Care
Your child is cared for in a home (not a relative’s) that has been licensed by the state to provide child care. Family Home Child Care is regulated by the Colorado Department of Human Services, Division of Child Care and must meet different licensing requirements depending on the type of facility.
- Allows you to choose the individual who will care for your child.
- Smaller group of children in a home-like environment.
- May offer flexible hours.
- May include a child development or preschool curriculum.
- When individual is sick or on vacation, other plans for care will need to be made.
- A single adult is usually alone with a group of children.